Christmas dinner usually involves a ham, but if you want round two of turkey time, we fully support that decision. Here is a delish turkey recipe to center your Christmas spread around.
12 – 14 lb turkey
½ cup ghee
2 Tbsp fresh sage, minced
2 Tbsp fresh garlic, minced
2 Tbsp fresh rosemary, minced
1 Tbsp sea salt
1 tsp freshly ground pepper
1 lemon, quartered
2 small apples, quartered
2 Tbsp collagen
1. Preheat your oven to 400 degrees (F) and adjust your racks to fit the turkey into it.
2. Remove the neck and giblets from the turkey and rinse the bird inside and out. Pat dry.
3. Combine the ghee, sage, rosemary, garlic, salt and butter in a small bowl, mixing well to combine. Starting from the back of the bird, slide your fingers between the skin and breast meat, opening a cavity that extends all the way to the front and along the sides of the breast. Push the herbed ghee under the skin, covering all of the meat. Do the same with the tops of the drumsticks, being careful not to pierce the skin. This is no time to be squeamish – roll up your sleeves and get in there with your fist full of ghee! Then rub the remaining ghee over the rest of the skin of the turkey, top and bottom.
4. Stuff the quartered lemons and apples into the cavity of the bird. If they don’t all fit, throw the rest into your roasting pan.
5. Place the bird UPSIDE DOWN into the roasting pan – this protects the breast and keeps it from drying out. Roast at 400 degrees for one hour. Remove from the oven and turn over carefully. Roast right side up for another hour. Test with a meat thermometer for 165 degrees at the thickest part of the thigh. If not quite there, give it another 15 minutes and test it again. Remove from the oven and let it rest – preferably for an hour if you can.
6. While the turkey is resting, pour the pan juices into a measuring cup. Skim off 90% of the fat and then add about 1/2 cup of water and 2 TBSP of collagen to thicken it. Puree in a blender or magic bullet and reheat just before serving.
Serves 12 | Prep Time: 2-3 hours