This vegan tuna salad gets extra tang and flavour from pickles and capers. Serve with cucumber slices, lettuce leaves, or your favourite gluten-free bread for a simple yet satisfying meal.
1 (15-oz) can chickpeas, rinsed and drained
3 tbsp tahini
1 tsp Dijon mustard
1 tbsp maple syrup
¼ cup diced red onion
¼ cup diced celery
¼ cup diced pickle
1 tsp capers, drained and loosely chopped
healthy pinch each sea salt and black pepper
1 tbsp unsalted sunflower seeds (optional)
1. Place the chickpeas in a mixing bowl and mash with a fork, leaving only a few beans whole.
2. Add tahini, mustard, maple syrup, red onion, celery, pickle, capers, salt and pepper, and sunflower seeds (if using) to mixing bowl. Mix to incorporate. Taste and adjust seasonings as needed.
3. Toast bread if desired, and prepare any other desired sandwich toppings such as lettuce, tomato, and onion.
4. Scoop a healthy amount of the chickpea mixture (about ½ cup) onto cucumber slices, lettuce leaves or your favoured gluten free bread. Add desired toppings.
5. Note: Mixture will keep covered in refrigerator for 4-5 days, making it great for quick, weekday lunches.
Serves 2 | Prep Time: 10 min